Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gluten or Not to Gluten?

After several months of odd but not serious symptoms, John suggested that I see how my body reacts to a gluten free diet. After four days this is what I know: I will die without flour.

If I don't die though, these are things that to know:

  • Gluten free noodles are not noodles at all. Just eat the sauce.
  • Gluten free chocolate chip cookies could be worse. They are kind of gritty but WAY better than no cookies at all. 
  • Salads swapped forever for sandwiches will just be sad.
  • Tomato soup just tastes like marinara. Disappointment.
  • There are way more gluten free choices at restaurants and stores than I would have ever imagined. 
  • Foods that are delish and are naturally gluten free are plentiful (peanut butter and hummus!)

So far my symptoms are fewer but not gone. John thinks more than four days will be necessary to see if this works. I'm ready to throw in the towel! I have a doctor's appointment on Friday to check on some things. My hope is that there is NO gluten intolerance or sensitivity. Again. Sad. I have a whole new appreciation for folks who eat GF. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment