Saturday, January 7, 2012

The In Between

Today is Mason's 12th birthday. We have one more year of officially being in between a child and a teen. It's easy to say that they grow up too fast, or I wish he'd stay young forever. I'm finding that the older the kids get, the more fun it is to see the person that they really are and will be. There are times when the teen angst just kills me. There are times when his defiance of authority just moves me to tears. There are moments when his mouthy mouth just puts me right over the edge. I say all that to preface all the wonderful things that I'm about to say about ol' Mase. I don't want anyone to think that things are Brady Bunch perfection over here at all times of every day. That said, as Mason gets older these are the things that I love beyond words about him:


  • His adoration of the girls. He is the best big brother. He plays with them, feeds them, reads to them, listens to them, talks to them; he gives them his attention which they love. They yell "Mason!!" when he comes through the door just like they do when their Daddy gets home.
  • His wit. He is absolutely funny. He's dry and "gets it." Thanks goodness. He can dish it and take it.
  • His brilliance. The way he understands math blows me away. 
  • His ease around adults and other folks. He's a social butterfly in ways I'm not.
  • His ability to not get too stressed out about anything. This can be hard for me when homework and projects are piling up and chores aren't done, but it keeps him relatively at ease. Again, in ways, I'm not.
  • His gratitude for things I don't expect him to notice.
  • His fashion sense or lack their of depending on the day. 
  • His love for football. It's so American.
  • His rendition of rap songs. Funny.
  • His willingness to bust a move in Spanish to remain the Most Enthusiastic according to his teacher.
  • His love of reading. YES!
  • His relationships with his grandparents. It makes me happy.

It is fun to watch them grow. I try and savor the little girls as they are, and as much as I love them little, watching kids mature is pretty cool too.

Happy Birthday to the leader of our pack. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment