Thursday, October 6, 2011

Half Dead Chivalry and Full Stocked Pantry

Part A
Yesterday I got a text from John asking me to prepare the house for overnight guests if possible. He asked very nicely, but I just could not manage to leave a staff meeting after a school day, go to the grocery store, pick up the girls, make dinner, wash and dry the sheets, make the bed, and clean the bathroom before 6:30. I also was on stand by in case Mase needed a ride to football practice. I did agree to make dinner. That seemed doable. It seemed more doable before I got to my car and found that the battery was dead. After asking two gentlemen for help, our school ROTC teacher assisted me with getting the car jumped. So, he was the THIRD man I asked to help me. Needless to say, I was afraid that turning the car off to go into the grocery store would result in me flagging down a stranger for another jump, and based on the 1 out of 3 odds I'd just encountered, I wasn't too confident.

Part B
This led to creating a dinner from my well-stocked pantry. I try to keep essentials on hand: canned tomatoes and sauce, noodles, frozen veggies, frozen chicken, and canned soups and beans are always on my pantry shelves. I don't like being without key ingredients for whipping up a creative yet makeshift meal when in a pinch.  I ended up having the goods to make a recipe that my family has been making for 15 years. It originally came from a friend of our family, Miss Angie.

You'll need:
a box of spaghetti (I make the whole box and use about 3/4 of the cooked noodles)
2 jars of sauce
1 lb of hamburger meat
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1/3 onion (chopped)
1/3 cup flour
1 can of evaporated milk
1 cup of  shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 shredded parm
2 tbs butter

Cook noodles according to package.
Brown the meat, onion, and garlic in a pan over med heat until browned.
Simmer tomato sauce and add drained, cooked meat. Continue to simmer.
Meanwhile make cheese sauce.
Melt butter and flour. Stir.
Add evaporated milk. Continue to stir over med heat until sauce is thickened.
Add cheeses. Stir until cheese is melted into sauce.
Layer cheese sauce, tomato/meat sauce, and noodles.
Bake for 25 at 350.
Served with bread and salad this is family classic. Glad I had the ingredients on hand.




Part C
My battery was dead again today after school. Again, I asked two men for help and only one was willing. Altogether  this means that less than half of males are gentlemen. I know John would always help a damsel in distress. I hope Mase will too.

P.S.
I made the chocolate pb cookies that use the yellow cake mix from an earlier post. They are super soft. I was happy with them and would make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment