Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Live Easy, Run Hard

During my 20+ miler two weeks ago, I knew that my right leg was not okay. It not only felt exhausted after and during the run, but it truly hurt. At about mile 18, I was in serious pain. There was sharp discomfort running from my hip to my toes down the outside of my right leg. Though I was able to push through and finish, I was really hurting and worried about what might be next for my and my training. That was on a Saturday. 
On Monday, I went for a jog. After mile two, my leg was in pain again. Not to the extent that it was during the long run, but I knew that it shouldn't be hurting after just two miles. I was devastated  The thing about being a VERY, VERY amateur runner is that there are soooooooo many other things going on in your life: a full-time job, kids, marriage, after-school activities, football games and practice, bills, social events, doctor visits, homework, chores, dates with friends...you get the point. 
It seemed inane to be so upset about an injury that wasn't really going to affect my livelihood. I was though. I was so upset. I still am. I stayed off it for the remainder of the week. Walks only. I immediately felt fat and out of shape. (I get that this is a serious emotional/mental issue and not a physical one, but is evidence of why I feel so strongly about how great running makes me feel on the inside).  
John suggested that I really focus on stretching. I've been doing some yoga and cross-training cardio. This week, I've run seven miles. All of them pain free. I'm due for another run tomorrow, and I'm hoping for more success. I don't have a long run scheduled for another week and a half. 
I'm worried about losing ground with my training. I'm worried that my leg won't stay injury-free. I'm worried that all of this will be for naught, and I won't be able to "race" on 11.12. I worry about all that, but then I remember that it is really okay. This is not my profession. It is not my livelihood. I barely break 10 minute miles. If I'm not ready to race in November, then I'm not ready. There are other races. There are always roads to run. I'm trying to focus on not worrying and instead concentrating on fitting in workouts that make me feel strong on the inside and on the outside. 
This article is a great example of balancing motherhood, running, injuries, and expectations. Kudos to Paula and best of luck and health.

No comments:

Post a Comment