Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Middle

Last year when we had to move your school yet once again, you said: "It's fine. I'm a pro at making new friends. I could write a book on being popular." Okay. Great. John proceeded to ask you what it is that you would include in said book. Your response: "Chapter One: Just be yourself. Chapter Two: If you suck, just be me." Honestly I did not not approve of you word choice or the message all that much; however, it does give me hope that you do understand the role that confidence plays in feeling comfortable in your own skin and in situations involving other folks. You had a great fifth grade year, socially if nothing else. So,thankfully moving schools did not affect you in a negative manner; thus, if you try and use this as an excuse later on in life, let the record stand that you were in fact just fine.
This year you move to middle school. There is literally nothing more frightening to me than this. What I know for sure: You are a very, very, very smart youngster. The academics themselves will not be too much for you. There are so many other aspects of middle school though that may try and get in the way of your delight. Here are my top tips gathered from my own experience as a former middle school-er, a teacher, a regular old person, and from asking my friends for their input.

1. Treat others the way you wish to be treated. Seriously.
2. Make confidence look authentic and not demeaning.
3. Treat your teachers the way you would want my students to treat me.
4. Make people laugh in a way that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.
5. Include others even if you don't know them.
6. When in doubt, say hi first.
7. You can be smart and cool at the same time.
8. Stick up for others.
9. Try new things.
10. Learn from your mistakes.
11. Play football with all your heart.
12. Wear what you like.
13. Make choices that are healthy for your mind, body, and spirit.
14. Pray when you need a hand.
15. Don't wait until the last minute...for anything
16. Be a leader.
17. Get your homework done asap.
18. Plan ahead. Write stuff down. Make to do lists.
19. Say hello to all school related adults (and thank you and please).
20. Get involved with different groups, clubs, activities, and people.

I love you. I'm proud of you. I want you to have amazing experiences that make you a better and brighter person.
Mason's 5th Grade Graduation

No comments:

Post a Comment