Monday, August 22, 2011

These Four Walls

I had the privilege of attending a workshop today given by the fabulously smart and teacher-friendly Kylene Beers. I've read her book When Kids Can't Read: What Teachers Can Do. I've practiced many of the strategies she suggests and have loved them all. She was engaging, thoughtful, sensitive to  teachers and students. She made me feel appreciated and honored to do what I do. She also reminded me of the humor that you can find in teaching and in students. The quote of the day by Dr. Beers, "Close the door and teach your students." This is similar to something that my dear friend Marcia said to me last yeSar regarding teaching during Pay for Performance and other legalese inspired educational policies. Marcia said, "I'm doing everything I can for the kids within my four walls. I'm teaching the kids in front of me right now." It is so easy to get caught up in the latest and greatest (or not so great) edu-hype, but really if you are doing what is truly best for your students (and not just saying it), then how can you not feel good about yourself and your students when you bid them bye at the bell?

No comments:

Post a Comment