Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Shake and Bake

Today was a last summer culinary hurrah. One of my goals for the school year is to eat breakfast; however, there are few things that sound good to me at 6:00 am when I'm walking out the door. I do love a good strong carb and coffee combo though.Today we made muffins to stock the freezer with. Two kinds. Banana flax seed and carrot cake. The latter is a misnomer.





The recipe was from the New York Times healthy section and it was just a lil' too good for you to be good to you. They are not sweet enough. Charley ate two, but she also eats trash;  her opinion is not highly valued. My biggest critic, Mason, said, "What are these supposed to be?" I think they can be salvaged with a cream cheese dollop, but they are not the number one muffin by any means. Note to self: do not double the recipe for something you've never tried. I now have about 40 wabi sabi muffins.

The banana flax seed though are delicious breakfast fare. I'm trying to find ways to incorporate flax seeds into our daily diet as they are a super food with cancer fighting properties. I'm going to try them over yogurt with my lunches this year. You are supposed to grind them to reap the most benefits. They don't grind well in a food processor; use the coffee bean grinder for almost a minute.

We ended this spectacle with a tomato pesto pie and a white cake with coco frosting. The cake was a little dry despite the Crisco (yeah for The Help!) John loved the pesto goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment