Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Why I Teach


Teaching, in my unbiased opinion, is the noblest of professions. Still. No matter what. It is emotionally, physically, and mentally taxing each and every day. The pay is a shame. The bar is raised and we are asked to do more and more each year but with less and less. Students don't appreciate you until they in college or dealing with their own children in school. All this though is nothing in comparison to what teaching can be when embraced with passion and conviction. The money I make is barely enough to cover daycare expenses and there are days when I think it might not be worth it, but most days when I turn in for the night, I know I've put in a hard day's work and done something truly good and worthy with my day. My hope is that most people feel that good about what they do. Life is just too short (cliche #54 b/c it's true) to be doing anything other than something that evokes this sense of content.

Why I love teaching:

  • June, July, August
  • the cyclic nature
  • a fresh start in Aug.
  • kids that make me laugh
  • kids that make me cry
  • creative outlet
  • my room is 1,005 times bigger than most people's cubes
  • fellow teachers
  • summers with my kiddos
  • winter break
  • being the center of attention (for like 5 mins)
  • making kids think
  • inspiring kids to read
  • Friday night football
  • seeing kids grow
  • new school supplies
  • bulletin boards
  • afternoons with my kiddos
  • schedule
  • pushing kids
  • getting thank you cards
  • health insurance
  • being a part of someone's memories from "time of your life" era
  • feeling successful
  • doing something I feel like I was born to do
  • jeans Friday
  • happy hour with my homies
  • always, always learning
  • never, ever settling


No comments:

Post a Comment